The other day I bought a box of small peppers to photograph. It was a little box with a lot of tiny little peppers in it, thankfully my 100mm macro lets me get REAL close. haha.
I was shooting them and wanted to make them be a little more seperated from the slate I was using as a background, I decided to try to make them "float".
This was my first try. A very very fancy solution. Broke a toothpick into pieces and jammed them in the back of the pepper. It worked, but was too subtle. This came out like this!
Then I shot the smaller pepper again.
This much less subtle solution was much harder to ballance, BUT I GOT IT TO WORK! haha!
I love trying to make ideas work, its what I liked about working in software companies doing QA, and its was I really love about shooting product and food. Come up with an idea an figure out how to make it work!
So, I had an idea for some shots I wanted to make on my table top set up, so I went shopping for supplies. A trip to Home Depot yielded 1 marble tile and 1 slate tile for the shoot. Then I went to Sprouts and picked up a couple subjects, onions, garlic, and a couple pasilla peppers. I don't have the reciepts but it was like $8 for all of that stuff.
Yesterday was a rare rainy day in San Diego, so it seemed like a good day to set up and play with lights. Each subject called for a different light modifier. Tha garlic got a stip box, but when I tried it on the onion it didn't look right. SO I swapped out to my 47" Octabox. That worked nicely on the onion, but wasn't QUITE right for the peppers. Luckily I was able to get what I wanted by just popping in a grid on the Octabox!